Since late 2011 / early 2012, Google has implemented a raft of punitive algorithms and subsequent amendments to those, penalizing many websites in the process.
- Panda penalties – assesses content quality and trust
- Penguin penalty – assesses participation in manipulative link building schemes
- Phantom penalty – assess thin content, doorway pages, scraped / copied content
- Top Heavy penalty – assesses advertising content percentage above the fold
Falling foul of any of these punishing algorithms can incur severe penalties that cost you dearly in terms of rankings and traffic. Figuring out which one, or if more than one has punished you can be a challenge. Google Panda penalty remedies are a core part of our seo services.
Panda Algorithm Penalties
These punish breaches of Terms of Service and/or Webmaster Guidelines pertaining to content quality. There are a great many elements assessed, including
- Architectural analysis – the structure of the site, page hierarchy, use of tags and categories
- Menu / navigation functionality, consistency and ease of use
- Sitemaps – XML & HTML for search engines and visitors respectively
- Errors – 404, 403, 503 – and custom error handling
- Internal linking structure between pages, and optimization thereof
- The keywords that link content, and over-optimisation punishment potential
- HTML & CSS elements and standards compliance
- Page load times – now very important and if too slow, a punishable offence
- Site design – mobile responsiveness of the layout is recommended and rewarded
- The pages Titles & Descriptions – accuracy, branding, compliance with guidelines
- Image Alt texts – recommended, but reckless use is punished
- Keywords – semantic aspects, over-optimisation and spamming / stuffing
- Content Quality & Quantity – duplication, plagiarism
- Noindex of trivial material – archive, tags,
- Removal of stub or doorway pages and placeholders
- Credibility & Trust – privacy, terms and conditions, business addresses and phone numbers
How to Fix Panda Penalties
A thorough website audit will reveal the aspects that are potential causes of the punishing Panda penalties. More info…
Identifying and adding missing trust and credibility items, deleting or applying noindex to trivial content, rewriting substandard material are all techniques to remedy Google penalties – and improve performance! Removal of over-optimised text anchors, and anchor texts in pages, toning down the bold text on exact-match keywords,
Experience shows that Panda’s penalisation is reversed very quickly. Most sites are regularly visited by Googlebot, and revised pages are re-indexed within a week in most cases.
As penalties are reversed, rankings and traffic promptly surge upwards – just like taking the hand brake off on a hill start!
(We also conduct Link Audits for Penguin penalty identification.)
Panda Website Audit Enquiry
Comments or questions are welcome.
Powered by Fast Secure Contact Form